Coach Mike Pettine and the Cleveland Browns are not ready to give up on troubled wide receiver Josh Gordon.

Pettine told The Plain Dealer in Cleveland this week that Gordon is expected to show up for the start of training camp on Friday.

"We have no plans to cut him," Pettine said, according to The Plain Dealer. "I know there's been a lot of debate over that, but I don't see us having that debate.

"I think we need to find the middle ground of what's best for Josh and what's best for the organization. I know (former NFL receiver) Cris Carter came out and said that (the Browns should release Gordon), but we think you can find that middle ground of what's best for our players and best for the organization. It worked for Cris, but cutting Josh might be the worst thing for him and the worst thing for us."

Gordon faces a possible one-year suspension for multiple violations of the league's substance abuse policy. Pettine thinks an announcement on the length of Gordon's punishment will come down from the league offices in the next 10-14 days.

"If any of our players are in need of help, we'll do our best to provide it for them and also that we're going to do what we feel is best for the organization," Pettine said. "By league guidelines, whatever help we can provide him, we're going to do it. A Cleveland Brown is a Cleveland Brown. If we feel we can help him, let's help him.

"Sometimes you're handcuffed by the situation, so until it plays out then there's really nothing tangible we can do at this point."

Gordon was arrested for driving while impaired earlier this month in Raleigh, N.C.

Despite serving a two-game suspension last year for a previous failed drug test, Gordon finished with 87 catches for an NFL-best 1,676 yards and had nine touchdown receptions.

The 23-year-old Gordon also pleaded not guilty to a speeding ticket in June. He was pulled over for driving 74 mph in a 60 mph zone on May 25 and fined $187. His passenger was cited for possessing less than 200 grams of marijuana.