CHICAGO -- In the third overtime game in the first four meetings of their first-round Western Conference playoff series, the Chicago Blackhawks rallied to defeat the St. Louis Blues 4-3 on Wednesday night at the United Center.

Forward Patrick Kane's wrist shot at 11:17 of overtime -- his second goal of the game and third of the series -- proved to be the winner as Chicago evened the best-of-seven series at 2-2.

Game 5 will be Friday in St. Louis and Game 6 on Sunday in Chicago. If necessary, Game 7 would be played Tuesday in St. Louis.

Having won Game 3 at home on Monday night, Chicago looked like it was en route to a second straight win, taking a 2-0 lead in the second period of Game 4.

But St. Louis rallied to tie the score with two goals just 65 seconds apart in the final 69 seconds of the second period.

The teams exchanged goals in the third period, setting up Kane's winner in overtime.

Chicago goalie Corey Crawford stopped 30 of St. Louis' 33 shots and St. Louis goalie Ryan Miller stopped 30 of Chicago's 34 shots.

After a scoreless first period, Chicago broke through at 8:40 of the second period. Blackhawks center Andrew Shaw juggled the puck on his stick and then flicked a quick wrist shot past Miller to give the Blackhawks a 1-0 lead.

It was Shaw's first goal of the playoffs and came on the power-play, just 11 seconds after St. Louis center Maxim Lapierre was sent to the penalty box for tripping Chicago forward Patrick Sharp.

Chicago made it 2-0 when defenseman Johnny Oduya skated up the left side of the ice and sent a cross-ice pass through the Blues' goal crease, right to the waiting stick of Kane.

Kane flicked a wrist shot above Miller's left shoulder for the goal at 16:09 of the second period.

Kane figured in St. Louis' first goal, having been sent to the penalty box at 18:44. Seven seconds later, the Blues avoided a second straight shutout when right winger Vladimir Tarasenko pushed a power-play slap shot past Crawford.

Tarasenko's goal seemed to invigorate the Blues as Lapierre scored 65 seconds later -- and with just four seconds remaining in the period -- to tie the score at 2.

Tarasenko scored his second goal of the game at 12:26 of the third period, giving the Blues a 3-2 lead.

But Chicago rallied to tie at 16:08 when forward Bryan Bickell tipped in a shot from defenseman Michal Rozsival. It was Bickell's first goal of the playoffs.

NOTES: For the second straight game, Chicago coach Joel Quenneville started his two biggest stars on the first line, team captain C Jonathan Toews and RW Patrick Kane. Also starting on the first line: LW Bryan Bickell. ... The Blues were forced to scratch RW David Backes, injured in Game 2 by Blackhawks D Brent Seabrook, who still has one more game remaining on his three-game suspension for the high hit on Backes. ... Fans gave a big round of applause for former Blackhawks great and NHL Hall of Famer Tony Esposito, celebrating his 71st birthday at the United Center. ... Attendance was 22,123. ... Quenneville was seeking his 90th career playoff win, most among active NHL coaches. St. Louis coach Ken Hitchcock was looking for his 75th playoff win, third most among active NHL coaches.