Fire destroys mobile home in Northeast El Paso

EL PASO, Texas - A fire at a mobile home in Northeast El Paso early Friday morning has left a man without a place to stay.

El Paso Fire Department officials on the scene ruled it an accident. Chief Battalion Matt Hiett said a fireplace was left on and the homeowner fell asleep.

The fire started just after 3 a.m. on the 12200 block of O'Donnell.

The homeowner, Clarence Kandal said he had just fallen asleep when he smelled the smoke. Kandal and his five dogs were able to get out.

He suffered minor injuries to his arms after he said he tried to control the fire with a water hose. Kandal refused treatment from emergency officials.

Half the mobile home was destroyed, and the neighbors' homes also sustained damage. However, the neighbors are being allowed back into their homes.

An official with the Red Cross was on the scene to assistance Kandal.

"I don't know what to do. All my family lives in east Texas and I can't get a hold of them, I don't have their numbers. I don't know how to contact them," said Kandal.

Fire officials said the home is a total loss.


comments powered by Disqus