LAS CRUCES, N.M. -

Karla Escobedo says her mother and five kids were inside the home at the time of the fire. She says her mother was heating something up in the microwave when it malfunctioned and exploded, setting a wall inside the home on fire.

"I haven't asked the kids, I haven’t even tried asking my mom," Escobedo said.

Escobedo's mother tried to stop the fire from spreading with water, as she was attempting to put the fire out, she told five-year old Ketzya Escobedo, to run and wake her four siblings, who were sleeping in a bedroom.

"I went to wake the two of them up, because my grandma told me to go wake them up," Escobedo said.

The Escobedo family credits Ketzya for rescuing and possibly saving the lives of her siblings. Her mother tells Abc-7, they are all grateful she didn’t panic and instead alerted her siblings before the fire spread to their bedroom.

"We were all telling her that they're all here because of here, that she was brave and smart and brave to call them all out, get them all out," Escobedo said.

When asked if she was scared, Ketzya shook her head and replied, “no.”
Escobedo tells Abc-7, their love is all they have left.
She remains positive, even after losing everything, brighter days will come their day.

"I’m sure I’m going to be okay. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but I’ll be okay,” Escobedo said.

A benefit account has been set up at Citizen’s Bank in Las Cruces. If you would like to donate, the account number is #133626601, or ‘Benefit Account for Escobedo Family.’ Tombaugh Elementary School is also accepting clothing and school supply donations, for information, please call (575) 527-9575.