El Paso

EPFD: Electrical short in old refrigerator may have caused house fire

EPFD Electrical short in old refrigerator may have caused house fire

EL PASO, Texas - A two-story house fire in South-Central El Paso was possibly caused by an electrical short in an old refrigerator, said the El Paso Fire Department late Thursday night.

The fire began around 4:30 Thursday on the 1100 block of Myrtle Ave when Fire Inspectors reportedly saw smoke at called 911. That's just South of I-10 near the rail yard.

Officials said woman inside the home self-evacuated before firefighters arrived.

Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the back of the home, and immediatly began fighting the fire. Water canons had to be used.

At one point, the apartment complex directly behind the home had to be evacuated. 46 firefighters responded to the fire.

Officials said it took about an hour and a half to get the blaze under control. The top story of the home is reportedly a complete loss. Damage is estimated at $150,000.

Because the woman was downstairs and unaware the fire was rapidly advancing upstairs, firefighters believe there were no working smoke alarms in the residence.

No injuries were reported.

El Paso Police, EP Electric, Texas Gas, El Paso Storm Water and the El Paso Planning and Inspections assisted in the incident.

The El Paso Fire Department would like to remind the public that in less than 30 seconds, a small flame can get completely out of control.

To inquire about the free smoke alarms program, the public can call (915) 485-5699 or visit www.elpasotexas.gov/fire-department/services.

comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular Stories