EL PASO, Texas - El Paso firefighters responded to an initial fire call at the University of Texas at El Paso Friday morning. They arrived at about 5 a.m.
After nearly two hours of firefighters checking classrooms and buildings on the 200 block of Hawthorne, EPFD found a smoking air conditioning unit in the basement of one of the buildings.
UTEP officials released the following statement:
"The air conditioning system in the Classroom building experienced a malfunction that created smoke overnight. There were no injuries, and there was no serious physical damage to the building. The building will be closed for at least half a day to assess the situation, and we expect that all repairs will be made before classes begin on Monday."