EL PASO, Texas -

Residents in San Elizario cleaninged up a mess after their homes and businesses were flooded.

But rain didn't cause it, a broken fire hydrant is what caused thousands of gallons of water to flood the area.

It happened Wednesday morning near the intersection of Socorro Road and Borrego Street.

Officials with the Lower Valley Water District say a car crashed into a fire hydrant but the problem didn't stop there. Crews couldn't find the shut off valve.

"I'm asking for help, any kind of help," said San Elizario resident Nancy Montes
after an SUV hit and broke a fire hydrant down the road from her home.

Water levels were close to three feet in the middle of the intersection.

Other residents could only try and use mud barriers to slow the water down from coming into their homes.

"We tried to control the water in the corner there, my son and I, but the water was too strong," Jose Perez said.

The broken hydrant continued to spew water into the street and onto properties.

"The water department hasn't been able to find were to shut it off," Perez said.

Officials with the water district said they couldn't find the shut off valve
because sometimes they get painted over or covered during other road projects.

"It's been a long time it's 10:30 and it happened after 7 this morning," Perez told ABC-7.

In those three hours even prepared with sandbags for possible heavy rains, Montes was overwhelmed.

"I have water in my house this is the second time I've been flooded. I just bought new furniture that's gone and that's about all I can say right now," Montes said.

Over the phone county officials told Montes it's the Texas Department of Transportation that would be responsible for pumping the water
off of Socorro Road.

"I need someone to pump, I don't care if I have to pay TXDOT ...If I have to pay the county, I need someone to help me," said Montes

Montes was told crews could not go onto private property. The news was heartbreaking.

"The fact that I'm on private property means I don't mean anything I guess because they can't come here," Montes said.

Crews had to shut down five valves to finally get the water to stop. In the process Socorro Road was closed and residents were without water for a few hours.