ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) -

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - A top officer for a New Mexico court says emails and documents show clerks sent the probation file for a man charged in the brutal slaying of a 10-year-old Albuquerque girl to corrections officials more than a year before his arrest in the crime last month.

But the Corrections Department maintained Friday it never received the February 2015 file that it says would have prompted probation officers to begin monitoring Fabian Gonzales.

Gonzales and two others, including the girl's mother, have been arrested in the killing of Victoria Martens, whose death last month sent shockwaves through the state.

Documents that court officials say were made available to the Corrections Department this week indicate Gonzales' file was emailed to probation officers in an attachment with more than a dozen other cases.

(Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

9/9/2016 6:56:55 PM (GMT -6:00)