Baby Jackson Death: Bond reduced for Jeffrey Farrey

EL PASO, Texas - Jeffrey Farrey had a bond reduction hearing Wednesday morning and his bond was reduced from $1.5 million to $1 million cash surety and $500,000 personal recognizance bond.

He has been charged with Injury to a Child by Omission, meaning he failed to protect his 5-month-old baby, Jackson, or get him medical attention.

Army Spc. Jeffrey Farrey, his wife Jenna Farrey, and their children, 20-month-old Blake and Jackson were reported missing Nov. 15 in El Paso.

All but Jackson were found in an Escanaba, Michigan motel on Nov. 17.

Court documents state that last fall, Jeffrey and Jenna say they found their 5-month-old baby, Jackson, unresponsive and neither sought medical attention for the baby.

The court documents also state that the Farreys told investigators that Jackson was "dead and buried somewhere in the desert in El Paso or New Mexico."

Jackson's body was found Nov. 20 near Orogrande, New Mexico, just north of El Paso. Blake is now in state custody in El Paso.

Jenna has been charged with injury to a child and her bond is set at $1.5 million

Jackson's Autopsy
The New Mexico Office of the Medical Investigator in mid-January released its autopsy findings Jackson Farrey and said it could not determine a cause of death.

The autopsy also states Jackson appeared under-developed and there was no evidence of any injuries or drugs in his body.

The report makes it clear the baby did not suffer any bone fractures or muscle injuries and no trauma to the head or body.

"At autopsy, Jackson was clad in a soiled diaper and wrapped in a fleece blanket," according to the autopsy. "He was severely decomposed with mummification and partial skeletonization of the skull. No structural anomalies of the organs were identified. Extensive dissection of the soft tissues and skeleton did not reveal any evidence of injuries. Measurements of the skeleton indicated that Jackson may have been slightly under-developed for his reported age. Histologic analysis of the organs and tissues was precluded by advanced decompositional changes."

Jeffrey's attorney, Joe Spencer in January said Jenna "has a lot to answer to."

"I think there's a lot of anger with Jenna. A lot of frustration with Jenna. I think he's (Jeffrey) hoping that she will come clean as soon as possible," said Spencer.

He added it'd be easier for the state to prove Jenna is responsible for Jackson's death.

One of Jenna's attorneys, Joshua Herrera in January said the autopsy does not prove Jenna harmed Jackson in any way. Herrera said he'd be "shocked" if she's charged with anything different than what Jeffrey is charged with.

The autopsy also stated that toxicology tests revealed a "minimally elevated level of ethanol (alcohol), that is most consistent with post-mortem production of ethanol from the breakdown of the tissues."

Three El Paso Police Department employees - Detective Micheal Lara, Martin Martinez, and Julio Ordaz - were present when the autopsy was performed.

Legal documents state that Jeffrey told his father the child died after choking on something and that he and the boy's mother buried the child in the desert.

According to legal documents, police interviews with the family revealed that Jackson was not with the family in Michigan. Both parents claimed that the infant was staying with grandparents. Investigators made contact with all grandparents and learned that the infant was not with them.

Timeline of Events

  • Jeffrey rents a U-Haul on Nov. 1, 2013.
  • Jeffrey appears to be traveling alone when he passed through the Alamogordo Border Patrol checkpoint at 4:36 a.m. on Nov. 13, 2013.
  • On Nov. 16, Jeffrey Farrey Sr. told investigators about his son's admission that Jackson died by choking on something.

The Farrey family story began to unfold in mid-November when Jeffrey did not report to duty at Fort Bliss and had not done so since Nov. 13.

Army officials called police and searched the family home.

Police found a journal inside, believed to be written by Jenna, opened to a page that said, "DKH will be bringing our bodies to a place where we can be at rest."
That's what led investigators to believe the family was in imminent danger and alert the media late on Nov. 15.

A warrant stated investigators believed Jenna was corresponding with Facebook friend Susan Farbaky, who sent an instant message Nov. 16, 2013. They believed her Facebook account had info about their whereabouts.

comments powered by Disqus