Fire Crews responded to a lower valley house fire just before noon on Tuesday.
Seven units and 21 firefighters responded to the fire that started in a bedroom from an unattended candle at 144 Papaya St.
Six people were inside the home at the time. While fighting the fire, a 76-year-old male was transported to a local hospital and treated for first-degree burns to his right hand and the back of the neck.
Crews were able to contain the fire in the bedroom and the home sustained light smoke damage. Damages are estimated at $7,500. American Red Cross of El Paso arrived on the scene to assist the residents.
The El Paso Fire Department would like to remind the public to never leave a burning candle unattended and to never attempt to fight a fire.
For more information on fire safety and prevention or to request a free smoke alarm and installation, please contact our Fire Prevention Division at 915-485-5699.