Jorge Artalejo, El Paso mayoral candidate
NAME: Jorge Artalejo
OFFICE YOU SEEK: Mayor of El Paso
OCCUPATION: Substitute Teacher
EDUCATION: University of San Francisco, Business Administration, Accounting, Cum Laude, 1987; Georgetown University Law Center, 1987-1990
1) NUMBER-ONE CAMPAIGN FOCUS:
My number one campaign focus is to inspire El Paso in its vote to the effect El Paso believes the vote given is respected by the individual who acquired the confidence of the voter.
2) WHAT SETS YOU APART FROM YOUR OPPONENTS?
Unlike the others, I don’t have an egotistical desire to self-promotion, as might be the case for them, where we see not resolution of public concerns, but rather expensive advertisements of themselves.
3) RELEVANT EXPERIENCE THAT QUALIFIES YOU FOR THE POSITION YOU SEEK:
The principal relevant experience qualifying me for the position is the political exposure I acquired in attendance at Georgetown University Law Center. In addition to attendance in class, I also attended legislative hearings on Capitol Hill.
4) IF YOU HAD THE CHANCE TO REVOKE ONE ORDINANCE IN EL PASO IMMEDIATELY UPON TAKING OFFICE, WHICH ONE WOULD IT BE?
In lieu of overturning an existing ordinance, I would ask for an ordinance to be introduced requiring voter approval to overturn an ordinance passed with voter approval at the poll.
5) DESCRIBE A MOMENT THAT CHANGED YOUR LIFE:
The most decisive moment of my life was when I got down off the bus in San Francisco to pay respect to a Catholic Church along the route. I discovered the church belonged to a university, the University of San Francisco. In prayer at an outside grotto to the Blessed Mother, I asked her for the chance to be given to attend the University. Two years from my discharge from the United States Navy, I, in fact, was there.
6) IN WHAT WAYS IS EL PASO ON THE RIGHT TRACK, AND IN WHAT WAYS DOES IT NEED TO CHANGE COURSE?
El Paso is on the right track in its desire to improve its quality of life through the passage of bonds. However, what occurs with the expenditure in this direction is a subsequent neglect of the improvement by the city personnel responsible for the improvement. Cleveland Park Square is a clear example of this.
7) IF ELECTED, HOW WILL YOU BALANCE THE NEEDS OF FAMILY, YOUR CAREER AND YOUR OFFICE?
As I have no familial dependents, the time available for the needs of the city would be available by me for them. I would ask of the principal advisor to the office of the mayor to be reasonably available, also.
8) WHEN AND WHY DID YOU COME TO EL PASO (IF APPLICABLE)?
I returned to El Paso in late 2002 because of the events on the East Coast, where I was employed by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority as an accounts receivable clerk.
9) PLEASE INDICATE WHETHER YOU HAVE A WEBSITE, TWITTER OR FACEBOOK ACCOUNT:
I have none of these accounts.