As the drought in El Paso county continues, Commissioners Court has decided to ban aerial firework sales and usage during the fireworks season.
It is the sixth time a fireworks ban has occurred while County Judge Veronica Escobar has been on Commissioners Court.
The regional manager of TNT Fireworks spoke before Commissioners Court, telling them he was fine with the ban but hoped a line of communication would remain open on the weeks ahead of an outright ban of all fireworks between June 24-July 5 that is expected to be discussed within the next two weeks according to Escobar.
Last year, according to Fernando Viramontes his industry took a massive hit when the County banned all fireworks sales resulting in a 100 percent loss of revenue in the El Paso area. Drought conditions devastated sales last year which led to the shutting down of numerous vendors throughout El Paso County, as well as, areas in New Mexico such as Las Cruces, Deming and Silver City.
"At this point I don't think anyone is comfortable," said Viramontes, referring to the current drought conditions but added that numbers don't look as bad this year compared to last.
Escobar said she would continue a dialogue with the fireworks vendor community, and the county's water utility provider, as more information continues to be researched in terms of the ongoing drought. Last year's ban was issued during a special session, which the TNT area manager said he was hoping didn't happen again, unless he and other people were notified.