Adam Gurrola, El Paso City Council District 2 candidate
NAME: Adam Gurrola
OFFICE YOU SEEK: City Council District 2
OCCUPATION: Project Director
1) NUMBER-ONE CAMPAIGN FOCUS: The infill of vacant lots needs to be a priority in our district. Vacant lots are magnates for illegal dumping and drug use, as nonprofit housing developer I know the obstacles and red tape, the hoops we must jump to build infill. I know how to cut the red tape, and make the process easier to build homes for families who choose to live here.
2) WHAT SETS YOU APART FROM YOUR OPPONENTS? I have dedicated seven years of my life doing real work for our community. As parts of my Lower Dyer program the sidewalks on dyer were done, 4 Neighborhood cleanups, 240 Students graduated from GED/ESL classes, over 1000 neighborhood youth were a part of our mentoring/gang prevention programs ect… win or lose District two is stuck with me… the other candidates can’t say that.
3) RELEVANT EXPERIENCE THAT QUALIFIES YOU FOR THE POSITION YOU SEEK: I am a project director for two non-profits; I sit on the Board of directors of three organizations; I am the PTA president at my daughters school “Travis Elementary”; I have a background in affordable housing development; I manage and keep my programs on budget; I am a businessman, I am a community organizer, I am the best qualified candidate for this position.
4) IF YOU HAD THE CHANCE TO REVOKE ONE ORDINANCE IN EL PASO IMMEDIATELY UPON TAKING OFFICE, WHICH ONE WOULD IT BE? I would be a strong advocate for removing ordinances that make it difficult to infill vacant lots.
5) DESCRIBE A MOMENT THAT CHANGED YOUR LIFE: I am the middle child of 11 my mother was a high school dropout. She found the courage and strength to go back to school and become a phlebotomist at Las Palmas and Del Sol. She taught me that nothing pays off like hard work, and the American dream is to work as hard as you can in the pursuit of happiness.
6) IN WHAT WAYS IS EL PASO ON THE RIGHT TRACK, AND IN WHAT WAYS DOES IT NEED TO CHANGE COURSE? I love progress, but we have to ask ourselves… who is this progress for? We need to give the people a seat back at the table. The only way El Paso can be successful is if we all are a part of the discussion.
7) IF ELECTED, HOW WILL YOU BALANCE THE NEEDS OF FAMILY, YOUR CAREER AND YOUR OFFICE? My Family will always come 1st, my office duties will always come before my career.
8) WHEN AND WHY DID YOU COME TO EL PASO (IF APPLICABLE)?
9) PLEASE INDICATE WHETHER YOU HAVE A WEBSITE, TWITTER OR FACEBOOK ACCOUNT: