EL PASO,Texas - NAME: GUS HADDAD
OFFICE YOU SEEK: MAYOR
OCCUPATION: CEO, THE HADDAD GROUP
Investment / Development / Mortgage Banking & Brokerage
EDUCATION: BBA 1974 The University of Texas at El Paso
FAMILY: James (son), Claire (daughter in law), Oliver (grandson 14 mos);
Leo (father 97 years old), 2 sisters and 1 brother; hundreds of cousins!!
1) NUMBER-ONE CAMPAIGN FOCUS:
El Paso's largest challenge and opportunity is Economic Development, raising our household income and fostering the development of sustainable employment in our community. We need to build on our assets in our region, our universities and colleges, expand our local business base, and provide new sustainable employment by attracting new industry to the region.
2) WHAT SETS YOU APART FROM YOUR OPPONENTS?:
As a proven leader, successful business person, and community servant-leader for the past many years, I demonstrate in my daily life these qualities: Trustworthiness, and Independent Responsible Leadership; I am Qualified through Real Life Leadership which is Transparent and Accountable.
3) RELEVANT EXPERIENCE THAT QUALIFIES YOU FOR THE POSITION YOU SEEK:
A) As a Professional Business Person in the El Paso Community for the Past number of years, I possess the skills required to understand the intricacies that are required to create, execute, finance and administer projects, and their budgets of all sizes (small to very large) and situations to make them successful. I am a proven unity builder and daily put coalitions together, of various backgrounds and skills to move the project or situation to success.
B) As of the Only Bond Overview Advisory Committee Chairman (2000-2008) for the Year 2000 Quality of Life Bond Issue, I was directly involved in the creation of the system of architect selection, contract bid process and bridge financing. Further, I also was involved in the programming of the 157 projects for execution and budgeting. Any and all of the systems which were put into place to administer the bond issue, I was directly involved in, and help create. This was a $141,500,000.00 bond issue that was received with unprecedented success in El Paso. I insured the delivery of all the projects which were all agreed upon from the beginning, with assigned budgets. As a community, we have just approved $478,000,000 in Quality of Life Bond projects. Who better, than the only candidate with such experience to become Mayor.
3) As Chairman of the City of El Paso Plan Commission, (2004-JAN 2009) our responsibilities included the review and approval of all growth plans, subdivisions, planning and zoning within the corporate city limits of El Paso as well as its 5 mile extra territorial jurisdiction. I was named the Planning Commissioner of the Year for the State of Texas by my Peers, (2007). As a result, October 30, is L Gus Haddad day in El Paso.
4) IF YOU HAD THE CHANCE TO REVOKE ONE ORDINANCE IN EL PASO IMMEDIATELY UPON TAKING OFFICE, WHICH ONE WOULD IT BE?
Parts of the Subdivision Ordinance.
5) DESCRIBE A MOMENT THAT CHANGED YOUR LIFE:
When I asked the Lord into my Life.
6) IN WHAT WAYS IS EL PASO ON THE RIGHT TRACK, AND IN WHAT WAYS DOES IT NEED TO CHANGE COURSE?
A)Our greatest asset is our people who comprise our community. Our Universities and Colleges have strived hard to create a successful future for their graduates. We should work together to better showcase how great they actually are.
B)As I mentioned earlier, we have experienced unprecedented failures in communicating with our community. If we had more conversation and transparency, we would be taking a step in the right direction
C)We have experienced unprecedented failures in economic development.
7) IF ELECTED, HOW WILL YOU BALANCE THE NEEDS OF FAMILY, YOUR CAREER AND YOUR OFFICE?
My first Job will be to make sure that our community is on course. I have had no trouble in my professional life keeping all aspects in balance.
8) WHEN AND WHY DID YOU COME TO EL PASO (IF APPLICABLE)?
I was born in El Paso
9) PLEASE INDICATE WHETHER YOU HAVE A WEBSITE, TWITTER OR FACEBOOK ACCOUNT: