EL PASO, Texas - The man accused of kidnapping his girlfriend and her two children Thursday afternoon walked into police headquarters Friday morning to turn himself in, officials said.
29-year-old Miguel Angel Mendez, who triggered a statewide manhunt and Amber Alert, was charged with three counts of Aggravated Kidnapping and jailed on bonds totaling $450,000.
Police said Brenda Estrada and her two children, 9-year-old Brandon Jesus Estrada and 9-year-old Ashley Michelle Estrada, were abducted at gunpoint on the 300 block of Chelsea. Estrada is pregnant, police said.
The ABC-7 I-Team learned Mendez has an extensive criminal history, including multiple arrests for possession of marijuana.
MENDEZ'S ARREST RECORD, PER COUNTY JAIL RECORDS:
- 05/15/2008 Charge: Possession of Marijuana with Intent to Deliver
- 10/14/2012 Charge: Driving While Intoxicated
- 05/02/2006 Charge: Possession of Marijuana in a Drug Free Zone (Dismissed)
- 06/30/2010 Charge: Possession of Marijuana with Intent to Deliver
- 03/09/2013 Charge: Possession of Marijuana
- 11/29/2009 Charges: Engaging in Organized Criminal Activity, Assault Casing Bodily Injury, Theft of Firearm, Unlawful Possession of Firearm
- 02/05/2008 Charge: Possession of Marijuana with Intent to Deliver
- 11/15/2013 Charge: Driving While Intoxicated (BAC greater than .15)
- 05/06/2014 Charge: Probation Violation