SUNLAND PARK, New Mexico - The Drug Enforcement Administration said Friday 28 people with ties to the Sinaloa Drug Cartel are facing drug trafficking and money laundering charges.
The 16-month investigation targeted a drug trafficking organization allegedly led by Luis Angel Briseno Lopez, a Mexican National believed to be operating in Juarez. Briseno-Lopez has not been arrested, officials said.
During the investigation, authorities say they seized about 30 kilograms of heroin, 64 kilograms of methamphetamine, 17 kilograms of cocaine, 20 kilograms of marijuana, 24 firearms, three vehicles and $102,000.
The investigation concluded Friday with an early morning, multi-agency law enforcement operation that included the execution of arrest warrants in southern New Mexico and Texas.
Authorities say 23 of the 28 defendants are in custody, with 20 arrested Friday.
The suspects are accused of smuggling heroin, meth and cocaine from Mexico to Texas, New Mexico, Kentucky, Illinois and Kansas.
A NEWS RELEASE STATES THOSE ARRESTED OR CHARGED INCLUDE:
- 30-year-old Juan R. Gutierrez of Belen, New Mexico
- 38-year-old Guztavo Hernandez Loaiza of Albuquerque
- 23-year-old Joshua Jande Carmona of El Paso
- 24-year-old Alberto Terrazas-Ignacio of Albuquerque
- 28-year-old Jose Manuel Ortiz-Campos of El Paso
- 23-year-old Diego Armando Rivas-Aguilar, a Mexican national
- 30-year-old Edgar Dominguez-Cuellar of Sunland Park, New Mexico
- 43-year-old Rosa M. De Santiago of Sunland Park
- 36-year-old Georgina Ramirez of Anthony, New Mexico
- 39-year-old Jesus A. Flores of Anthony
- 36-year-old Alfonso Rios of Santa Rosa, New Mexico
- 26-year-old Vanessa Reyes of El Paso
- 24-year-old Roderica T. Bahe of Albuquerque
- 25-year-old Martin J. Contreras of Rio Rancho, New Mexico
- 19-year-old Elizabeth Monroy of Chaparral, New Mexico
- 22-year-old Daisy Hidalgo of Anthony, New Mexico (considered a fugitive)
- 19-year-old Jazmin Lucia Soto of Chaparral
- 19-year-old Ricardo Terraza-Ignacio of Las Cruces
- 21-year-old Dulce Viridiana Rodriguez of Albuquerque
- 24-year-old Gonzalo Dominguez-Cuellar of Sunland Park
- 26-year-old Yvonne Briseno-Lopez of El Paso
- 50-year-old Franciso Luna-Rosales of Albuquerque (considered a fugitive)
- 21-year-old Omar Fernandez of Albuquerque
- 32-year-old Manuel German Ibarra of Albuquerque (considered a fugitive)