High Wind Watch:
Issued at: 3:31 PM MDT on April 24, 2014, expires at: 9:00 PM MDT on April 26, 2014
- ...High wind watch in effect from Saturday morning through Saturday evening... The National Weather Service in El Paso TX/Santa Teresa has issued a high wind watch...which is in effect from Saturday morning through Saturday evening.
- Event: high winds Saturday with blowing dust.
- Timing: winds will increase throughout the morning Saturday and reach their peak of 35 to 50 mph in the early/mid afternoon. Winds will begin diminishing mid evening.
- Impact: strong winds will make travel difficult...especially for high profile vehicles. Blowing dust will also be a hazard.
- Visibility: widespread dust mainly along and south of a line from Hatch to Alamogordo with visibilities to three to five miles. Local visibilities could drop to less than one mile mainly south of Interstate 10 from El Paso west. Precautionary/preparedness actions... A high wind watch means there is the potential for a hazardous high wind event. Sustained winds of at least 40 mph...or gusts of 58 mph or stronger may occur. Continue to monitor the latest forecasts.
Fire Weather Watch:
Issued at: 1:46 PM MDT on April 24, 2014, expires at: 10:00 PM MDT on April 26, 2014
- ...Fire Weather Watch remains in effect from Saturday morning through Saturday evening for strong winds and low humidity for fire weather zones 055...056...110...111...112 and 113.
- Event: Fire Weather Watch for elevations below 7500 ft msl.
- Timing: 10 ...am MDT to 10 PM MDT Saturday.
- Wind: southwest 25 to 35 mph with gusts to 50 mph.
- Humidity: 5 to 15 percent below 7500 ft msl.
- Impacts...any fires that develop will likely spread rapidly. Outdoor burning is not recommended. Precautionary/preparedness actions... A Fire Weather Watch means that critical fire weather conditions are forecast to occur. Listen for later forecasts and possible red flag warnings.